What's in the water lately?

Saturday, January 10, 2009

I just got back from my cousins baby shower today. She's having twins. One day in the not so far future she is going to go from no babies to being outnumbered by babies. It makes me tired to think about it, yet I kind of admit I'm a little jealous that in 3 years, her boys will be playing trains with EACH OTHER. And it's not that I don't enjoy playing trains... it can be pretty fun (especially when Jamison is in a chatty mood), but Jamison wants to play trains 24 hours a day. And I don't even get to play with a train. While Jamison has about 15 Thomas characters connected in one looooong train, instead I am given the role of the truck. The truck drives up to the train track and stops and waits for the train to drive by. The truck then is instructed to shout out in excitement ('Look, a train!') and then properly say goodbye to the train when it has passed. Then the truck drives in a circle and stops again to wait for the train to come by. Over and over and over and over again we do this. For hours. And I SWEAR that I was given a book that states very clearly that a 3-year old has less than a 10 minute attention span. Due to Jamison being the only child in my family and friends (well, in this timezone at least), a playmate has not been an option. But FINALLY and slowly, babies started coming. Starting with my cousin's baby Jaxon, then my own Gianna. And now it seems as though the entire world is pregnant! I feel like every time I see someone, I'm constantly trying to remember when they are due, trying to calculate how far along they are, and thinking about whether I know if they are having a boy or a girl. Let me just recap here:

50% of the women I work with are pregnant
67% of the female cousins on my dad's side are pregnant
Of the 7 (well, 7 that I know of) pregnant women at the baby shower today, 71% of them have names that start with the letter 'M'
Of these same 7 people, 58% tried for well over a year (some for several years) to get pregnant and then they ALL got pregnant at the same time!
100% of all the people I know named Mindy are pregnant
Less than 10% of the pregnant women I know are having girls (although not everyone knows yet what they are having)

Crazy. It's like something happened to the water here in Utah or something. And I know 11 currently pregnant women that I talk to or associate with somewhat regularly right now. That's a lot of hormones to watch out for. Fortunately, none of them seem to be as crazy emotional as I got, especially with my first pregnancy. I think I was a little nuts. Oh, and mean. I didn't want to be mean, but I honestly believed that with each passing day of my pregnancy that people just got stupider. And I just wasn't in the mood to deal with stupid people. Well, needless to say, I am absolutely THRILLED about the fact that there are so many babies being expected this coming year. I'm excited to be an aunt for the first time (well, sort of, I did marry into being an aunt). And I'm very happy for all of you out there who are currently expecting. Congratulations to all of you!

*** Disclaimer: I would just like to state for the record that I am NOT one of these pregnant people, nor do I plan on becoming one of these pregnant people anytime in the future. ***

8 comments:

The Estes Family said...

you did spend alot of time at the pregnant girl table yesterday so you better watch out!!

janeal said...

Yeah Melica, that's why I felt like I needed the Disclaimer at the end of this. I think I got asked 10 times if I was also expecting... Part of me wonders if I should be offended. I thought EVERYONE knew that you're never supposed to ask a girl if they're pregnant no matter what!

Josh and Jaime said...

I remember playing with Zak lots when he was younger. Your train story reminds me so much of times I took forgranted, I really miss them now. They are so fun. Why cant Manda be one of your pregnant friends :(

The Bawden Bunch said...

I also remember playing cars for hours with Tre...and under his rules.
Somehow everyone has me pegged for joining these prego's for 2009...I vaguely remember having a baby just last year (sleep deprivation makes things a little foggy)!!!
Do they all think we're out of our mind JaNeal?

Jackie Johnson said...

Ha - I am one of those pregnant people, although my name starts with a J - so that is where I stand in the statistics (and I did try for a while to get pg!).

I, along with the SEVERAL other pregnant peopple I know right now - am VERY excited to be here and think that others should join - like April and Janeal again! ;)

Jackie Johnson said...

Oh wait - I had to comment on the Janeal being emotional and mean part - OH wow was she emotional and mean. Mostly just to me (her loving, caring sister of all people!). But, I really think there was a 6 month span there when she wished I did not exist (much like our childhood which this same feelings probably lasted a few years rather than a few months). I have not been ANYWHERE near as mean and emotional as she was (at least not yet anyway). However, I must say that she was only this way with Jamison, not Gianna - Maybe I am having a girl?

skeeterandjenn said...

JaNeal, I hear you! They were all pregnant! I was completely avoiding that table! I do love babies but, I am sooooo not wanting another myself. and if you want to play trains and be the train....just call me...I'll be the truck and you can be the train. That's how much i love ya!

Kari said...

I know I'm reading this late, but I would just like to say that due to the water quality in Utah (that I have suspected for many years) I stick to bottled! ;)